Monday, June 26, 2006

The Merry-Go-Round

When I was younger, squealing with delight as the merry-go-round went round and round, I rode magical horses and painted chariots to mythical destinations. Later, older, flush with certainly and adventure, I stood at the outer most edges of the same merry-go-rounds reaching for the brass ring. Sometimes I grasped it; sometimes I didn't....but I knew victory was only another turn away. Finally, older, settled now, I accompany my grandchildren as they recapitulate my journey. I watch them as they ride painted horses to magical destinations and reach confidently for brass rings, while I sit quietly on the innermost chair--the circular journey on the merry-go-round much shorter now--and ride contentedly its path to nowhere in particular.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home