Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A White Man

I keep getting referred to as a "white man" as in "old white man". I am given that special category of derision generally by people who doesn't fit that category, particularly people who are non male (women) and "persons of color", which means everyone that is not white. Several things are wrong with callling me and "old white man". I am old, I am a man, but I am not white. I am a Turk. I am olive, brown dark, swarthy, but not white. I think what my critics mean when they call me "white" is: I have Anglo-European sensibilities. I will cop to that. I am a brown Turkish-American who likes, respects, aspires to, am comfortable, and would be complimented if you said I am one with Europeran (especially Northern-European) culture. So in truth, I am not white, I am a Euro-American (by affinity if not by birth...although Turkey is getting closer and closer to being considered a part of Europe)! I am a mixure of light and dark, with a Catholic north-European mother and a Turkish Moelem Father...a Turko-Euro-American. So if you persist in calling me white, I will ignore you. Now...if you name-callers want to be known as black or brown, that's OK with me...but please stop being a racist by categorizing me as white...which I'm not. If you're going to deride me, castigate me, dismiss me, even hate me...hate me for what I am, Euro-American, not white.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home