Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Hooray for American Democracy!!!

Are we finally coming to the end of the five-decade Age of Entitlement? Where the American dream trans morphed from "Work hard, save and your kids will eventually prosper;" the American dream became "...to "Work only hard enough to qualify for a credit card, spend on trinkets and toys and a lackluster education, and create the illusion of prosperity when it was really spending/mortgaging your own and other's (your kids' and grand children's...if you weren't too selfish to have them) future."

"I deserve. I have right to. What is mine is mine; what is yours is ours. There are no winners; just equal participants. I play in the league: I deserve a trophy, too. Self-esteem is not the reward for effort; it is an inalienable right. Why do I have to say "'I'm sorry?' If I did anything untoward to you, my mother and father caused me to do it. The apologies should come from them." "I should say 'Thank you?' For what? I earned all that I'm taking from you by the simple and glorious fact of my birth."

From the five-decade long indulgence in Entitlement also came the modern horrors of the political left and right. The left is self-righteous in their equitable sharing of the goods of others (note that they are not too excited about higher taxes on themselves.") And on the right, the sense of entitlement has produced greed, elitism and smugness.

The antidote to this five-decade old Entitlement experiment?: the Great Recession. 2010 come-up-ance; chicken's coming home to roost; if you don't pay now, you'll pay later. The inevitable fact of life: what goes up must come down.

Do I have sympathy for today's American malaise; mine and other's? No. Not a bit. We deserve it. Dare I use the almost archaic concept?...we are RESPONSIBLE. We are responsible for the muck we're in, and boy are we ever RESPONSIBLE for the muck of getting out. Victims (the other side of the human coin of entitlement) BEWARE. We are all victims now! Poor babies, those prior victims. Today's situation leaves no one for victims to blame. You are nothing special. You want to bitch about your situation? Don't start bitching to me! Because a few words into your rant I start bitching to you about my situation. We are all on the same floor in the hospital, if not the same room. We are all on the same oxygen machines and life-support. Forget black, brown, woman, men, illegal immigrants or Daughters of the American Revolution, young, old, gay and straight...your/our unique victimization is over. The great leveler has occurred: when we all look into each others' eyes for sympathy, when I look in the face of my social and economic problems, and I see...that I look just like you; another miserable person!!

Democracy, equality, equity has occurred. Nobody on Team America gets a trophy. Self-esteem is out the window, Misery. The cold hard facts of reality. That is the game today. We are all the same. Power to the People! The American Dream...finally fulfilled after almost fifty years of the coming of the Age of Aquarius. Hooray!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home