Thursday, May 22, 2008

Leveling The Playng Fields

Did you read recently the latest decision from the US Appeals Court RE leveling the financial playing field for blind people (the following was from Earthlink)?

"Since all paper money feels pretty much the same, the government is denying blind people meaningful access to the currency, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled Tuesday. The decision could force the Treasury Department to make bills of different sizes or print them with raised markings or other distinguishing features.

"The American Council of the Blind sued for such changes, but the government has been fighting the case for about six years.

"The U.S. acknowledges the current design hinders blind people, but it argues that they have adapted. Some rely on store clerks to help, some use credit cards and others fold certain corners to help distinguish between bills.

"I don't think we should have to rely on people to tell us what our money is said Mitch Pomerantz, the Council of the Blind president.

"....The court ruled 2-1 that such adaptations were insufficient under the Rehabilitation Act. The government might as well argue that there's no need to make buildings accessible to wheelchairs because handicapped people can crawl on all fours or ask passers-by for help, the court said."


OK: I understand completely; and sympathize. I buy into all of the above. The blind deserve no less. But... (this is the misanthrope/curmudgeon in me) I am an aging man whose thighs are going at a rapid rate. I want escalators in all buildings. No more stairs. I'm tired of having to endure the pain of walking to the second floor in order to have the fun everyone else is having up there.. I also want loudspeakers in every restaurant. I can't hear as well as I used to and I'm tired of saying "huh?" to every salesperson and have them look at me as if I'm stupid. I am also 6'5". I'm tired of banging my head on hanging TV monitors in the aisles of airplanes and leaning over in their tiny bathrooms to pee at an angle. I want taller ceilings in airplanes and bigger bathrooms. I'm also having trouble seeing. I want larger printing on everything. Everywhere. I also want extra time to cross on a green light before it turns to red. I want all inexpensive cars to be big enough for me to fit in. I want Xtra tall clothes to cost the same as regular size. I want...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home